Sunday, November 14, 2010

Winter Swimming

N said he wanted to go swimming the other day and it's a bit complicated because it would entail swimming at the indoor pool, which is nice because we can swim year-round, but I'm not so keen on breathing in all that chlorine. For the record, I grew up swimming in a pool, but never swam indoors. I've been exposed to my fair share of chlorine, but something about indoor pools that seems worse.

Either way, every now and then is okay. The pool in White River is a bit like Disneyland, with all sorts of fountains and slides. There's a wave pool that takes you around in circles, so you don't have to do much other than float, and they offer high speed internet for all the parents, which is about 95% of them, who do not want to take part. In all fairness, I can understand.

The slide has a height requirement, and the child's head has to touch or surpass a certain mark. N's head is about 1/2 an inch below, close to enough to argue that he can do it. Either way, he went for it, and he loves it. I actually did it a couple of times, but I'm too old to have so much fun.

After doing it about 20 times, another lifeguard said he was a little too small, and we had to stop. Total bummer, but we still managed to have a lot of fun. N is becoming an excellent swimmer, and he really has fun just jumping around and swimming by himself.

It also struck me that he's really getting to be a big boy. He was hanging with the other big kids, and I couldn't help but think he's growing up. Amazing.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to paul benger for the pic.

N on fire
great swimmer, confident and comfortable
did the slide before busted
N growing up, no longer a little boy, becomig a big boy, poignant

No comments: