Thursday, October 23, 2014

Back and Forth

It's time for the big Halloween-a-thon competition at the local TV station, and as usual the kids are doing a film. This is probably the fourth year they're doing it, and things are a little different this time around. They've branched off from their regular group and are doing their own thing, which I have mixed feelings about. I wouldn't intervene and would let them decide, but they are sort of abandoning their book group in forming their own. On the one hand I understand they want to do a project with their friends whom they have worked with before. This also means they don't have to spend a lot of time teaching news kids what to do. On the other, I do think their book club is their clan, and maybe deserves some of their attention.

It's complicated, especially since a lot of these kids make the trip up here to do the book group, and now the locals (i.e., us) are not involved. I want the kids to make the right decisions, but I also want them to have some autonomy, so I'm not speaking up. I did say that they shouldn't ignore their book club and should help out when they can. I'm curious to see how the group evolves, time will tell.

In the meantime, their current group has a member who lives in another town that is a bit of trek to get to. As a result, there is a bit of back and forth to get the group together. This past week they had a day where I literally went out there three or four times, and it was crazy. I think it went like this: KS took the kids to the filming, I went and picked them up, then had to take A back to the studio for her trip to Burlington, and then had to go and pick her up in the evening when they returned.

Just wait until hockey season starts. Then the real driving begins.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Karsten Konrad for the pic.

No comments: