Friday, October 10, 2014

Relishing the Moment

When we sell falafels at the market, we get a fair number of people that don't eat dairy for assorted reasons. Some can't digest it, others are allergic, and some are vegans that don't eat anything that comes from animals. Consequently, when they order a falafel, they don't want the yogurt sauce, which is akin to eating a salad with no dressing on it. The yogurt, in my opinion, is a key ingredient, and I could eat it straight with a spoon. We started offering a zucchini relish that one of the vendors at the market sells. It's really good and actually tastes great on the falafel, especially if you combine it with the yogurt and some Sriracha sauce.

As I mentioned, we buy the stuff from one of the vendors, but I got to thinking that we could probably make something pretty close. It might not be as good, but it would be adequate. I decided to give it a try, especially with zucchini so plentiful during the summer. We even got a bunch from a friend, so I gave it a go. I found a recipe online and went to work, and it turned out pretty good. Again, maybe not exactly like the real deal, but close enough. I made cold pack jars, unlike the true canning jars, but we go through the stuff so quickly that they don't stay in the fridge for more than a few weeks. Best of all, we can say they're homemade, adding to our marketing aura. I love when that happens.


It just goes to show you, you never know what you can do until you try. Thanks for reading, and thanks to Dee Kincke for the pic.

No comments: