Friday, October 24, 2014

Not Quite So Painful

A day or so back I was whining (what else is new?) about my chainsaw woes and how bummed I was about all the money it was going to cost to fix it. I even regretted taking it in because I realized after the fact that I probably could have taken it to one of my logger friends or My Mentor (who is experienced with logging) and they might have been able to have fixed it, or at least given me more insight into the problem. Instead, I took it to Joe's and before I could grab the thing back the guy had the tag on it and took it out back to the mechanic. Done and over. He even mentioned that the problem I described could have meant a broken seal, for which the repair costs the big bucks. Total bummer. I decided that if that was the problem, I would simply take the saw back home and wait until spring, when I would really need it... and would have time to save up the cash to pay for it.

They said it would take about a week, but of course I called after a couple of days to plead my case. They understood, they are cool guys and probably deal with broke losers like me all the time, but they are a business, and one thing you learn when you're training to be a real man is that the cost of labor kills you. I think they sensed my neurotic frugality and told me they'd call me when the estimate was done.

On Friday they did in fact call, and the news was good. They said the repair cost was $20, and now I have the saw back with a little more time before the snows come. This means I just might be able to finish the second wood pile after all. Don't want to count my chickens just yet, there's a fair amount that needs to be done, but at least progress can continue. I love when that happens.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Len Matthews for the pic.

No comments: