Friday, October 31, 2014

Day to Myself

While the kids were away at camp, I got to experience something that is a rarity in our lives - a day to myself. R had to go to an all day meeting, and with the kids at camp, I was left all by myself. Can you say PARTY? As you might expect, nothing like that happened, but I was happy that I could get a lot of stuff done around the house in preparation for fall.

The first order of business was mowing the lawn and dealing with those leaves. Raking is without question my least favorite thing to do, but this year I'm employing a different approach and raking less. Zero raking would be better, but you clean up a little bit. As I may have mentioned in the past, I was reading somewhere that instead of raking the leaves, mow them into bits and let them nourish the soil. It sounds like one of those ideas that is good in theory but not in practice, but I'm going to give it a try. Some raking must be done, but I'm not going to go over the entire lawn with a fine toothed comb. No thank you.

With that in mind, I was able to mow the entire lawn, which takes about 5-6 hours and usually 2-3 days. The weather on that day was cool, sunny, and breezy, so it was perfect for getting the job done. Also, it was the only day it didn't rain that week, so my timing was good. After mowing, I fired up my chainsaw and cut some wood, hoping to have enough cut and ready to split for pile #2. I then changed the oil on the car and went to hockey practice, even though none of our kids were there since they were at camp. How's that for hockey dedication?

I didn't get to relax and sit on a hammock, but who wants to do that, anyway? By the end of the day, I could relish in the fact that I was productive and got a lot done. When you're a real-man in training, you live for these moments. All that was left to do was to bag a deer for supper.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to David J Dalley for the pic.

No comments: