Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Interesting Chat with Our Neighbors

I had an interesting conversation with our good friends and neighbors the other day, and I have to confess to being a little surprised. They have adult children but she works in the local school district as a teacher, and they are awesome people that I really respect and admire. In fact, I always thought they'd be great people for my in-laws to meet as a plug to live in this area, but that's another story.

The other day we were chatting and they mentioned that they thought it was great that we were homeschooling our kids. They have a baby granddaughter and they wished that their kids could homeschool her or at least send her to a good private school, i.e., avoid the local public school. Now I was a little surprised by this revelation because as I mentioned, she's a dedicated teacher, but maybe that's what gives her opinion credibility - she's in the trenches and sees what goes on firsthand. They felt that there were so many problems with the public schools with the students and parents, and with all the testing and new standards. I have to say, they are not alone, I hear parents grumbling all the time.

In the end, it's very interesting, especially coming from them, but one thing I've learned after years of homeschooling is that you can't do it to impress other people, or for that matter, seek out validation and approval, but that missed the whole point. It is an uphill battle, no doubt, because you are swimming against the tide, but on the whole, if you believe in something, then you have to go with it. So far, I think it's been a good fit. Not perfect, but when is life ever a perfect?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Lindell Dillon for the pic.

No comments: