Friday, October 10, 2014

Eyes on the Future

As soon as the market ends, we can turn our energies to other areas, mainly hockey and other life pursuits. I think I have managed to get a more balanced view of hockey and realize that there are other things in life, though not many. It's hard not to get caught up in the fanaticism of the game, but now I can look back on how some of these parents behave and it's interesting, if not a little shocking. For the record, I've been there, done that, and now I'm done... yeah, right.

It helps that the kids have other interests to give us all a little balance. Hockey is still a big part of our winter, but we will make more of an effort to other things. Last year we got a fair amount of skiing in, and I think this year we'll do even more. A has really taken off with her music and N has become a mountain biking machine. With these other interests come other needs, and for that, I am planning for the future. N needs a new mountain bike, and I am in the process of researching this prospect. I think the one he has is marginally adequate, bearing in mind that we got it free from a friend. It's more of a recreational bike, and I think he would benefit from something built for riding on trails. For A, she is pining for an electric guitar. Her buddy's mom told me that whenever she comes over, she always picks up her husbands electric guitar and plays it. A's teacher has given me some affordable possibilities, and says he can teach her. Electric guitar definitely has a big cool factor.

They both could use some new hockey skates (hockey is hard to avoid). Hockey has pretty much arrived, so that will have to be addressed sooner than later. N's bike won't be an issue until spring, and A's guitar has no time frame, though if you ask her, the time has come. Christmas is on the horizon, so you never know.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jill Erickson for the pic.

No comments: