Sunday, October 5, 2014

Word From Our Logger

We finally heard from our logger and from past experience I know that that's good enough for now. I tend to be a bit of a pest, but at least that lodges me into his psyche and reminds him that I'm a regular customer who still needs wood. I'm learning that this is a good thing because wood is getting hard to come by these days for various reasons, and a lot of people are either getting shut out or having to pay top dollar for wood.

Usually with us, I contact our logger, TB, early in the spring and inform him that we will need a load, but it's not urgent. He never calls me back, so I have to keep pestering him until I finally speak to him and tell him we still need wood, but we can wait until summer/fall, whereby he tells me to call him in the fall. Good enough for me. This fall, however, the news was out that everyone was having a hard time getting wood. I had been trying to reach TB for weeks and no word. Finally I left a message, and I do this every year, asking him to just tell me whether getting wood was a possibility or not. At that point he'll finally call and we'll talk.

This year he said the situation was rough, mirroring what I've been reading. He said he could get it for me, but that the market was tight. Plus, he was raising his price. This, of course, is a total bummer, but at least we have some wood in the pipeline. I think it's good that we have a regular guy because I'm reading that loggers are turning away new customers and even telling their old customers that they're out of luck. At least we're regulars with TB, and have been buying from him for years. No telling what the future will hold, but thus far it's paid to be persistent and loyal, not unlike a lot of things in life.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Dennis Raper for the pic.

No comments: