Friday, October 10, 2014

Going Online

As you can imagine we put a lot of thought into learning and schoolwork, and I can't shake the feeling that we're never really doing enough. Chalk it up to my 14 years of going to school, but I, like most people, equate more work with better education, even if it's just busy work that will never be retained. I look at kids in school and talk to parents and everyone seems to think that a school that gives more homework is doing a better job.

I have since revised my opinion of this, for which I will spare you my pontification on the matter. Suffice it to say that we are continually searching for a better way to learn the necessary material, and in certain areas we got it covered, namely the basics: math, english, writing, art, and reading. The challenges arise with history, social studies, and specific areas that might interest them.

Enter the internet. There are a lot of resources to cover all subjects online, especially when they're related to computer stuff like programming and gaming. I don't think it's a perfect solution, but where do perfect solutions ever exist? One thing I've noticed is that the kids like doing things on the computer, including math and social studies, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. It definitely makes them more self-motivated, but I'm guessing there's a fun component in there, as well.


The search continues, but for now, the internet is a good resource. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to tct10e for the pic. 

No comments: