Saturday, October 18, 2014

Propane Delivery

In addition to thinking about getting firewood, another issue we need to confront before winter is propane. Not just the procurement of it, but getting it at a reasonable price. Fuel prices are all over the map, so it's hard to know what the best deal is. We are part of a fuel club to get a good price, and I think it's worth it, but have never sat down and to do the math. We usually pre-buy somewhere between 400-500 gallons, and that gets us through the year, which I've been told is a pretty reasonable amount.

This year the fuel club is doing things a little differently, and I don't completely understand it, but it doesn't involve pre-buying. You get a rate and pay as you go, eliminating the need for a huge initial cash outlay at the beginning of the year. I figured it would still be a big load of money in the fall because the tank hasn't been filled since early spring. Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to seeing that bill.

A few days ago the propane truck started backing down our driveway, and I couldn't help but think they had come early. I was surprised, and a little bummed because I figured the time of financial reckoning had come. Why deal with money matters when it's easier to ignore them? Surprisingly though, the bill wasn't that bad. I guess we didn't use as much propane over the past 6 months as I had thought, and our rate was good. Boy was I stoked, and heaved a big sigh of relief. Plus, it's one more thing that I had to deal with before winter that is now off the list. I love when that happens.


Now I can focus on firewood and the barn. Until then, the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Larry McCombs for the pic.

No comments: