Monday, October 20, 2014

Keeping Watch

Every 4-5 years my trusty old watch needs a new battery, and I've been scrambling to find a way to get it done right. There are jewelry stores in the area that will do it for a reasonable price and probably get it done in a timely manner, but none of them can guarantee that it will remain water tight. There is an official authorized Seiko repair shop in New Jersey, the only one apparently in the U.S., but they won't give me a quote via email or on the phone. I have to send them the watch and only after they've looked at it will they give me a quote. I can then choose whether or not I want to do it, which is a drag because if it's too expensive I don't want to. I also think it's lame that they can't just tell me something as routine as changing a watch battery, but I do want it waterproof.

So I'm left with a dilemma. I could just do it locally, which would be quick and affordable, and then just not swim with it on. Or I could mail it in and hope for the best, which I'm guessing won't be too horrible, but you just never know. What to do, what to do.

Part of me resents Seiko for making this more complicated than it need be, but what are you doing to do?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ed Reeves for the pic.

No comments: