Friday, October 10, 2014

Game Theory

The kids enjoy being on the computer, like every kid on the planet, and while I have issues with ones who spend their entire lives in front of the screen (gaining weight and frying their brains), the reality is, computers are an indisputable part of modern life. You can choose to ignore their significance at your own peril. I would prefer for our kids to be computer literate, which for the record they are, but as we all know, the tech world is continually evolving, and it doesn't take long for things to change considerably. For a dinosaur like me, it's like speaking a foreign language, a fact my kids get a huge kick out of.

With this in mind, I think it's good for the kids to know how to navigate computers, but even better, to know them well. Maybe even know how to program them. Deep in the back of my mind, I wouldn't even mind if they knew how to hack computers, but of course never in an illegal way. I have been encouraging them to dabble in computer language and to be at least minimally familiar with programming, for which they have been more than happy to oblige. I'm still researching what languages are best, but for now, they are working with Javascript and HTML. There are numerous resources out there, so all it takes is a little legwork and experimentation. So far they have been working with digital animation and graphic design, as well as game design. It's pretty cool, and they really love it.

It's all fine and well as long as they don't spend too much time on it, but that's where mom and dad come in, right?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Brian Biggs for the pic.  

No comments: