Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bitten by the Hockey Bug

We were in Hanover the other day and ran into some friends from town who were just coming from hockey practice. They were kids that played t-ball with N, and the father was talking about how the boys were playing hockey and were getting into it. I remember when the boys were learning to skate, and recall that N skated circles around them. Of course I got to thinking that we need to get N into some hockey gear.

For the record, this is something he has said he’d like to do, and I really think he could do it, but time will tell.

Anyway, hockey is a bit of a pain, because there is so much equipment involved. I thought we’d just need a helmet and some skates, but the guys over at rink said in addition to a helmet, he’d need pants, as well as knee and shin pads. There were some other things, but at some point I simply tuned out because the list was wearing me down.

First off, the season is almost over. Second, N is going to grow out of anything he wears right now. Third, we’re not even sure if he’s going to like it, though I think he will. My feeling is we can’t torture ourselves over the possibilities, but rather should at least give it a go and not suffer the hell of living our lives immersed in the what-ifs. It’s a terrible way to be.

With this in mind, I am currently in the process of searching for equipment that I can borrow and buy on the cheap. Fortunately, young kids equipment turns over fairly quickly, so we might get lucky. I’ve already made some calls, so we’ll see where this goes.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Albin Axelsson for the pic.

No comments: