Friday, February 18, 2011

Ready to be a Karate Man

Seemingly out of nowhere, I scored a punching bag, and now I’m ready to start working towards being a trained machine of destruction. At the very least, it will help me to get into shape and at least work on some basic fundamentals that I’ll need when I test for my next belt, whenever that may be.

I’ve noticed that I definitely need to spend more time working on my footwork as well as my conditioning. When we spar, I’m still tentative, and by the end of one round, pretty winded, and once you start struggling for breath, it is the beginning of the end. Which is fine when you’re just sparring for fun, but if, heaven forbid, it became a real life situation, then you really need to be prepared. This is how my mind works. It’s amazing I ever survived puberty.

Either way, now that I’ve got the bag, I can train in greater earnest, and at the very least, practice more techniques. After all, the foundation of what we’re learning is based on instinct and reaction, and less on thinking about what you’re going to do. This is only achieved through practice and repetition, so your body knows exactly what it needs to do without your mind consciously telling it what to do. In many ways, you become a machine, capable of mass destruction on the human race... uh, sorry, I got a little carried away there.

Either way, I’m excited to have the bag. BS and NS brought to class for me (much thanks, BTW), and I’m not sure if I’m borrowing, renting, or buying it, but whatever be the case, I’ve got it to use, so I’d better use it.

Otherwise, a certain somebody will most certainly have some choice words for me, none of them complimentary.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: