Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Daily - A Great New Source for News

I was in the library the other day reading the newspaper, when it dawned on me that print media is really riding off into the sunset, having taken a serious backseat to digital media, and I guess I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, being the old man that I am, I can’t envision a world without print media, especially when it comes to books or a well-written article in a magazine. There’s something to be said about holding a story in your hand and being able to jump back and forth throughout the story, but it’s the same old song and dance as other nostalgic types. Our time in heaven may be coming to an end.

On the other hand, getting news and information on the web is a great thing because, in addition to being easily accessible, I can get most of my news in quick and concise bits that make it a breeze to skim through. It’s also in real time, so the news is updated constantly.

With this in mind, I was just recently turned on to a new site for news and information, the Daily. It’s not a simple blog site that where aspiring writers report on the day’s events, these writers are the real deal. We’re talking seasoned journalists, and the whole site has the support of a major news organizations.

The Daily’s content is all driven by way of the iPad, which is in line with what seems to be the direction we’re heading, though I’m not sure if I’m ready to make that leap just yet. Fortunately, you don’t need an iPad, so I can get by with my archaic MacBook (I know, I'm a dinosaur) while dreaming of one day being current and up to date. Then again, iPads are pretty affordable, aren’t they?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Leonardo Barbosa for the pic.

No comments: