Friday, February 25, 2011

The Quest for Hockey Gear, Part 1

Since I got the hockey bug in me, I can’t let it go until we’re fully equipped. It’s my OCD that drives R crazy, but sometimes that’s the best way for things to happen. As I mentioned, we saw some friends of N who were just coming from hockey practice, and I remember when these guys were learning to skate and N could skate circles around them. N has mentioned on a number of occasions that he’d like to play hockey, but it’s a rather complicated process.

First off, you need ice, and there is a fair amount of equipment involved, all of it expensive. We have skates and sticks, which isn't enough, and I don’t want to go out and buy all this stuff and then have him decide he doesn’t like it. Also, the season is winding down, and he’ll outgrow all of this stuff by next Fall.

So, I am currently on a mission. I contacted people I know whose kids play hockey, and even talked to the guys at the rec center. They let me borrow a helmet, but it turned out to be too small. I have a few more options to exercise, so we’ll see where this goes. Practice is tonight, and the coordinator suggested we come and just have a look. There are only about two weeks left, so it may not be worth engaging, but at least we can get an idea. Then there’s summer camp, and then hockey begins again in the Fall.

This should be interesting. Another parental adventure awaits us, and more fodder for this blog.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: