Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A SAHD’s Worst Nightmare

So I managed to go out and do what every stay at home parent’s worst nightmare is and get sick. Something may be going around, because my friend and his son from karate were sick and didn't attend, and then I started to feel something after class. I could tell something was wrong because I was really tired. Granted, I’m always tired, but this time it was unusual, you can tell when something’s amiss.

The next day, I could tell a cold was brewing, and I had to make a decision. Stay at home and nurse myself back to good health, or go skiing at Whaleback in sub-arctic conditions. Of course I opted for the latter. The way I see it, if I’d stayed home and took care of myself, I would have gotten sick anyway. It always works out that way, once you get it, you can’t magically get rid of it.

I figured I might as well go out and do what I want to do rather than what I’m supposed to do. Take it from a person who has done what he’s supposed to do all his life in lieu of what he wanted to do, it never works out like you expect it to. This applies to many things in life

Either way, the kids were excited, and they had this amazing deal at the slopes that just couldn’t be passed up, so we went. I didn’t feel great, but good enough to have a great time. Today I’m feeling a bit further along but really not that bad, a fact that I attribute to vitamin C and zinc lozenges. Don’t ask me why, but I believe in zinc for colds, even though the stuff is kind of nasty.

We were thinking of trying to ski again on Thursday, but that may be a bit too much, especially since N has a dentist’s appointment. Oh well, you can’t win them all.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to David Lat for the pic.

No comments: