Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Skiing in Antarctica

The other weekend we hit the Quechee hill, and man was it cold. So cold, in fact, that nobody was skiing. The hill was empty, because people with any common sense were at home enjoying hot beverages. We, on the other hand, could not pass up a chance to hit the slopes.

R had to do some work on her project, so the plan was for her to go into work, and for us to ski. We would then meet up later at the Howe library, get some books, and then have dinner at, you guessed it, Boloco. A fabulous plan, if you ask me.

One of the problems we first ran into was that I forgot my coat. Now don’t ask me how I can do such stupid things, but in the rush to remember everything for skiing, and let me tell you, it’s a lot of stuff, I had to go and forget my coat, on one of the coldest days of the year, no less. I was so bummed, not to mentioned angry at myself. I let a few expletives fly that A was quick to inform mom of. Busted, but such is life.

I had a few layers on, and my thick fleece, so I had to make due with that. In the end, it wasn’t that bad. Sure, I was cold, but the fleece kept me fairly warm, and the only time I really suffered was on the chairlift up. Plus, we had our hand and foot warmers, which are simply amazing.

We saw our friends DE and C&A, and we got to ski a few runs with them before they had to go. They’d been there for most of the day, so by the time we arrived, they were ready to head home. We had fun skiing, and the kids are back in shred mode, they ski so well. It’s great to watch, and they are independent enough to where they don’t need me to follow them, though I like to have some sense of where they are, being an overbearing parent and all.

We took a break and went to the lodge for cocoa, and then headed up the lift for one final run before heading out to Hanover. It was a lot of fun, we feel lucky to have a hill so close by. We met mom at the Howe, then had killer burritos at Boloco.

The end of a great (but cold) day. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ola Laurin for the pic.

No comments: