Thursday, April 5, 2012

Filling Empty Bowls

Last weekend we went to the Empty Bowls supper in Pomfret, and it was really nice. What a great time we had, and we’ll make sure we make it next year. Not only did we get to see some friends that we haven’t seen in awhile (a whopping two weeks!), but we got a killer meal and took part in a wonderful event for some good causes.
R actually jumped into the philanthropic fray and put together a display for I-KODI. The way it works is they gather people together to make, paint, and glaze dozens, if not hundreds, of bowls. They then sell the bowls and serve soup for supper. The money they generate goes to whichever charities people have chosen. I thought it was really well done.

The meal took place at the Pomfret town hall, and I will say this - it was the most time I’d ever spent in Pomfret. Not only that, the town hall was located deep in the heart of town, where I’d never been. I figured it would be near S6 or the school, but I was way off. Either way, the soups they made were killer, my favorite being the corn chowder which was filled with sausage and bacon. The bread was amazing, and they kept bringing us more. They had an incredible array of cookies, brownies, and other sweets. The kids were heaven.

What made it nice for me, however, was seeing our friends, most of whom we met in hockey. Not only did we get to sit, eat and chat, but afterward, GG invited us over to their house, which was just down the road. Thankfully the roads were manageable, because it’s real-man’s country up there. During mud season I can’t imagine getting around without four wheel drive.

A&N were thrilled to pieces to get to chill with their buddies, and I got to hang out and bond with GG, who is is not only a nice and interesting guy, but he’s got great kids. Really nice, and at all ages they jive with our kids. They went wild at the G household, which for them was like Disneyland. A&N didn’t want to leave. It’s a beautiful house with a killer location. Lots of space with great windows and amazing views. I bet the seasonal views are breathtaking, they’re pretty high up on the ridge.

At some point, much to the dismay of A&N, we had to go, but I hope this is the first of many get-togethers with them. We really enjoy both their company. Maybe it’s a Canadian thing.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to jenib320 for the pic.

No comments: