Monday, April 30, 2012

Getting Adventurous With Meals

In the interest of healthy eating, we’re obviously trying to decrease our consumption of meat, but one of the foods that we’re also trying to eat more of is fish. Now I’ve always been a bit intimidated by the cooking of fish, partly because I have so little experience working with it, but also because it’s kind of “gourmet” and it’s expensive, so you don’t want to screw it up.

Because of this, we tend to eat one kind of fish, salmon, and we broil it. It works out beautifully, the kids love it, R and I love it, and it allows us to eat fish about once a week. For the record, the kids like sushi, as well, which is kind of cool considering that a lot of adults won’t even be that adventurous. I think it stems from traveling to different places and trying different kinds of foods.

Either way, we were at the Coop the other day and they had a sale on tilapia, whatever that is. We see it all the time in restaurants, and apparently it’s a sustainable fish that is endorsed by various environmental groups. R said they serve it in the cafeteria as part of their healthy eating plan. I figured it might be good for fish tacos, which we had been itching to try to make, and being on sale, how could I pass up the chance? All things considered, it was very reasonably priced.

Using our favorite cookbook, Cooking Light, I found a recipe for fish tacos with citrus slaw. I made a chili sauce with lime, brushed it onto the fish, and broiled it. They say to grill, but broiling was easier, and grilling fish is tricky, though results in superior tasting food. We made the slaw, and we had a fish taco feast. Everyone loved them, though I have to confess, the fish was a little bland. I think grilling would work better, or maybe baking it in some sort of sauce. I’m not complaining, however, and if anything, we’re ready to try other types of fish, or whatever is on sale at the Coop.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Neilwill for the pic.

No comments: