Monday, April 23, 2012

Scooterville

A few months back we found a new scooter for N at the Listen, and he was excited because it was in much better shape than his old one, and it was more up to date, with a suspension, no less. A inherited his old one, and I figured they would just languish in the barn because I personally don’t find them that interesting. Maybe because I grew up with skateboards and surfing, scooters just seem a bit too tame.

Not so, said the wise man. The kids have a blast with their scooters, and they are pretty popular across all age groups. I think at some point skateboards and bikes take over, but up to that point, scooters will do the job. Of course, now that they have their rigs, they need to make them cool and accessorize. This meant new wheels and matching hand grips. Now one thing I’ve noticed is that it’s hard to find scooter parts, and I don’t even know where to begin. There aren’t scooter stores that specialize in scooter parts. Even skateboard stores are hard to come by.

Fortunately, these things are fairly easy to find online, and if you work it out properly, you can often get free shipping. We ordered the new wheels, and then found very affordable grips on eBay, which I had never really used before, but found to be pretty useful. The problem with eBay is that I had to pay with PayPal (PP). I have an account because I once got paid for some writing and they paid me by way of PP. I don’t have much experience with it, but I’m guessing it’s a good way to buy things online, because you don’t have to use your credit card. The tricky part is getting more money into the account. You can link your checking account to your PP account, but I didn’t want to do that. They have a new feature where you can add money as if you were paying a bill, which is more to my liking.

Anyway, it was, like everything in my life, a complete fiasco, but I finally managed to work it out, and then I could order the grips. Man they were cheap, the shipping cost double the price of the actual item, but that’s not so bad when the grips cost $2.00. Now everyone is happy, which when you really get down to it, is what life is all about.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: