Friday, April 6, 2012

Karate Revelation

We had a small but nice karate class last week, and I had a bit of a revelation about it all. Last week we returned after a reasonable hiatus, and I have to admit, I was a bit out of shape and out of practice. My bad, I should be practicing regardless of whether I attend class or not, but don’t get me started.
Master H came and led the class, and it was nice to be back. A brought her sais and he showed her the beginning steps of the sai kata, and we went over things we’ll need for our next test. He said he wants me to test for black belt by year’s end, but we’ll see how that goes. At the end of class, we put on our gear and sparred. I went up with the new kid, who’s dedicated and really good. It was a challenge, he’s taller, younger, and quicker than me, so I had my work cut our for me. By the end, I’d say it was a draw, but it got me thinking that I really need to work out more regularly. Not just because it’s good for me, but when you’re rusty, not to mention old and creaky, you have to work that much harder.

Then again, with greater challenge comes greater reward, right? I’ll have to make sure that I’m ready to deliver the death blow to the kid next week. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to My Toy Museum for the pic.

No comments: