Tuesday, April 24, 2012

More on My Plate

Just because I have loads of free time and nothing better to do, I may actually get involved with some more activities. While this may seem like insanity, I’ve learned in life that if people don’t volunteer their time to help out, things just don’t happen. It’s going on right now with the little league baseball team, they don’t have enough players or coaches, and the team may be in trouble. That’s a bummer because sports programs are good for kids and families alike, and part of the fun is when everyone gets involved.

With that in mind, even though I’m swamped and busy, I think it’s only right to help out when I can. The first issue is the big city library, for which I am on the board of governors, whatever that means. Sometimes I think these titles are only meant to inflate one’s ego at dinner parties, because I’ve noticed people drop them into conversations all the time, usually when you first meet them. Either way, they asked me if I could help out with a literacy program. They need some people to meet and discuss ways to literacy as a life-long pursuit, though the kids in the big city are go-getters and I doubt academics are an issue.

It will require only a meeting or two, which shouldn’t be too painful, though when the time arrives, I’m sure I’ll be griping about having to go. It ain’t easy doing the right thing.

The second issue is hockey, which is really what life is all about. The youth hockey board is meeting, and it’s been alluded that it wouldn’t hurt if I showed up and offered some support and suggestions. I don’t know what I can do, but I can always go and just listen. It could be interesting, and maybe good for a story or two about how membership on a board can do strange things to people’s perceptions of themselves, not to mention their overall personalities.

Stay tuned for more. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to shandrew for the pic.

No comments: