Wednesday, April 18, 2012

First Day of Lacrosse

We made it to our first day of lacrosse a couple of weeks back, and so far, so good. Being from the east coast, where lacrosse doesn’t exist, I have to confess that I still find the sport a little strange. I realize it’s popular here, but only amongst a small subset of people, and a somewhat exclusive one, at that. Even when we went to the lacrosse game at Dartmouth (talk about exclusive), it seemed like a select group of people attended and played.

Either way, we finally made it after missing the first practice, and N had a great time. Of course we saw several of his friends from hockey, and I got to chat with some of the dads. I said I could help if they needed it, but they seemed pretty in control. The day was cold, and when the sun went down, I was freezing. I worried about N but he is fairly durable when it comes to the cold. The kids looked cute out there playing the game. You realize how different things are when you don’t have ice skates on, the kids now have to run and they really seem like little kids.

Afterward we jumped in the car and cranked up the heat and headed home. N did a great job, the coaches indicated that it was clear he’d had some practice because he can catch and throw a ball. We have been dabbling in the sport a bit, but I think it’s because N is a competent baseball player that he can handle the ball.

It should be interesting to see how this sport goes over. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: