Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Missing Lacrosse

We weren’t sure if we were going to make lacrosse work this season, and I’m still not sure if we’ll pull it off, but somehow I’d like to make it work. N seems pretty excited about the whole thing. He mentioned in the past that he’d like to play, but I wasn’t quite clear on what it required. It just goes to show you how the game is a bit of an alien experience for a west coast surfer, it’s all so east coast prep-school to me, and the equipment is outrageously expensive, more so than hockey stuff. It’s so similar, but don’t get me started.
Also, I have to confess, attending a game at Dartmouth did not endear the sport to me, the audience was sort of obnoxious. Even still, it looks like it might be fun, even if I’d never played it. The same could be said about hockey, though I liked hockey long before I ever played it.

There are time conflicts involved, and I wasn’t sure about what sort of equipment was required. Thanks to DE, our lacrosse hero, who helped us get the equipment sorted out. Now all we have to do it find the time. The practices and games are on Mon and Fri, and eventually Wed, so there is a big time committment that also conflicts with karate and hockey. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it, hockey will end in about a week, giving us more free time.

In the process of deciding whether or not we were going to do this, we missed the first practice. My original stand was to tell N we simply can’t do it, we don’t have the time, and to his credit, he was very cooperative. He did not, not even for a second, protest or throw a fit, which made me feel even guiltier because he’s such a great kid. After talking it over with R, we decided that we, or rather I, should try to make it happen. We’ll see how this goes.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to ryan_hamilton for the pic.

No comments: