Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hockey Board Meeting

In a good example of what I preach to my kids, don’t believe what you hear until you find out for yourself. Not to be so cynical, but how many times have you acted (or didn't act) on information and later learned it was wrong? Even worse is when you miss out because you listened to faulty information. I hate when that happens.

During Spring Fling I had heard all these things about the hockey program and how all these big changes were on the horizon, which of course got me worried because I don’t always deal with change that well, though I’m getting better. The main concern I had was in regards to the House program, and whether or not they were even going to have one.

Well, as I always tell A&N, you just never really know what the facts are until you find out for yourself. Now I contacted the man, DF, because I was looking for information about the House team, even though I really had a bunch of other questions, but I refrained from asking them and seeming desperate. He mentioned that there was a board meeting where several of these things would be discussed or decided upon, and that if I was interested, I should come and let my voice be heard.

Now as you may have noticed, when DF speaks, I tend to listen. How could I pass up an offer like that? Not that I’m interested in joining another board, but I have a vested interest in the hockey program, especially the house team and whether or not there will be one. So I went, and it was actually more relaxed than I envisioned. I pictured some big auditorium with all these people arguing about policy. It was nothing like that. I recognized all the guys who showed up, they’re all actively involved in the program, which makes perfect sense.

The meeting was not stuffy at all, and I learned a lot about the hockey program. It turns out that they want to run a house program, and will do everything in their power to make it work. It really boils down to numbers, so you can’t lay any blame on the board. I also got some insight into how things may work out in the travel program, so that was helpful, as well.

All in all, it was a good experience. There were some hints about me joining the board, light-hearted, of course, but there nonetheless. I’m not sure if I’m ready to join another board, but I would like to help. We’ll see how that goes. I did sense that some of the board members have kids that are moving up the ranks, so their time in Eden might be coming to an end. Then again, you don’t have to have kids in the program to be involved, it just helps in the motivation department.

I’m glad I went, it really shed light on next season and laid to rest a lot of my concerns and anxieties. Then again, I’m good at coming up with new ones.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sheraton Hotels and Resorts for the pic.

No comments: