Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Learning to be Patient

When I was a pre-teen and teenager, my mom always commented on how I’d become so rude and obnoxious, and I could never really figure out how she could think that. After all, I was such a great kid... yeah right. Either way, now that I’m a parent of a pre-teen, I get to experience these qualities firsthand, and let me tell you, it’s a learning experience. It gives new meaning to the parental expression, “Just wait until you become a parent yourself.” That time has arrived, and it's not always pretty.

I realize it’s a part of growing up and asserting yourself, but when your kids start to become a little fresh and rebellious, it takes a really cool and level head to ride out the storm. If anything, it’s good practice for me to deal with people and not take things so personally. For the most part A&N are great kids, but as they get older, they’re going to test the waters a bit more, it just goes with the territory. The key is for me to keep my cool and not be so uptight, while keeping things civil and respectful, remembering, of course, that respect goes both ways. It’s hard at first, but I need to be understanding, because I’ve “been there, done that.” Besides, it’s good for kids to become more assertive, because it’s a rough world out there, and you aren’t going to get the things in life you want by passively sitting back and waiting for them to be handed to you.

The big question is, can I maintain some semblance of my sanity.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to { ₴uper. F ™ for the pic.

No comments: