Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Friends Over For Dinner

A wanted to go see this movie, the Hunger Games, with her best friend, who is two years older than she is. We felt like it wasn’t appropriate, not even for a 13 year old, but that’s because we’re old and square. Either way, also felt a little bad, because it is her best friend, so we had them over for supper, instead, and then they got to watch movies and more importantly, hang out in their room away from the scrutiny of boring old parents. You can’t beat that.
It’s always nice having HH over for supper, she’s a good friend, and she has great kids get along with A&N. And as I mentioned, her daughter is A’s best buddy. They are vegetarians, however, and the original plan for dinner was salmon, so I had to switch gears on the fly. I should have seen it coming because whenever A gets on the phone with A, they want to get together for dinner. I feel like it’s nice to have friends over for supper, and want to embrace a little spontaneity, which is something I never had growing up.

So I had to make something else for supper, and on short notice. I usually make the same thing when they come over, figuring Martha Stewart would not approve of such predictable banality, tried something new. How’s that for living life on the edge? I took an eggplant dish that we usually add beef to and simply omitted the meat. Not only was it good, but it was much easier to make sans beef. Throw in a little quinoa salad and green salad, and voila, we had a nice meal.

The kids got to hang, we sat around and chatted with HH, and since it was a school night, we had to call it a night at a reasonable hour. I love when that happens.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to agent j loves nyc for the pic.

No comments: