Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ask and You Shall Receive

I’ve been bemoaning the fact that they we haven’t had any snow, and then we got it by the truckload. We had one of the most amazing snow storms, and ended up with nearly two feet of the white stuff. It was so beautiful outside, and finally started to resemble a Vermont Christmas. The only downside was that the wind was howling, making it a little more challenging.

The kids were thrilled, they got geared up and we all headed outside to enjoy the snow. I, of course, had practical things to do, and at one point I must have commented (complained?) about it and A said, “Isn’t it amazing how kids can look at snow and see it as a great and fun thing, and adults look at it as another reason to do work?” To this I replied, “Maybe that’s because the adults are the ones doing all the work.”

Ah, the innocence of childhood, you have to love it.

Anyway, because two feet of snow fell, I had quite a bit of shovelling to do. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the snow, and actually enjoy shovelling it (talk to me in February), it’s just that the first snow is always a bit of an adjustment, and I’ve gotten soft over the past few months.

It was fun seeing the kids enjoy it, though, and I would have joined it if not for all the shovelling I had to do. On a bright note, now that we have our metal roof, I won’t need to rake it, at least not as much. It took me about two hours to get all the stuff done, after which the kids had had enough and were caked in snow.

At some point KB showed up to plow the driveway, and he was like a knight in shining armor, because let me tell you, we weren’t going anywhere, at least not in our cars. He got a beautiful new plow truck and did the usualy good job, and suddenly we were liberated.

Around lunchtime, I was finished, though the snow kept falling so there will be more work that needs to be done, but for now, we can enjoy the snow, and maybe even contemplate a little skiing. I know R is excited about hitting the trails, while I have the slopes on my mind.

We don’t do a lot of XC skiing, but we have the equipment, and need to get some new boots for N. We’ll have to work on that one.

Until then, thanks for reading

No comments: