Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Becoming a Soccer Mom

Like it or not, I’ve become a soccer mom. If we had a minivan, I’d have to change my name to Marge and spend my days making rice crispy treats.

Case in point, the Christmas chorus. In years past, I’ve helped out as much as I could, making snacks and helping with the show, but this year I took a step back because while A had rehearsal, N and I would go and do things or hang out. Plus, I don’t have the time or energy, though I did help record CK (using my Mac and Garageband-I felt so musical) sing the songs and then burned them onto CDs for everybody.

The shows are coming up in a couple of days, and they needed a parent to help out during the show on the sidelines. Basically a roadie to help with props and hand kids instruments when they needed them. Easy stuff. Apparently, they were in a bind and couldn’t find a parent to help on the opening night. They have two moms doing the work, but one of them said she wanted to watch the show from the audience to see her daughter sing, so they needed a substitute.

Of course, they turned to the Martha Stewart wannabe, me! I’m glad to help, but I had to learn the drill at the last minute, and I’m sick as a dog. In fact, the last rehearsal, while the kids were singing, I was coughing the whole time back stage. I asked A if she could hear me, and she said, “Of course.” How embarrassing.

Oh well, what are you going to do? The show must go on. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to wemedge for the pic.

No comments: