Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Test Preparation

This is going to be A’s big karate test, and I had two concerns. One, that not enough people would show up. Now I’ve been in class when one kid tested and I was the only other person there besides Master H, and of course, the kid’s mom. Nobody else showed up, but Master H wanted this boy, who had been in the class for awhile, to get the belt he had studied so hard for. So we had the test, and I helped out. When people know it’s going to be a test, it doesn’t really apply to them, so they feel like they don’t need to attend.

To some extent this is true, but it is also nice to show up to support your friends, but also to help out with sparring or other test procedures. I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt: if A’s friend was testing for a belt, she would want to be there to show her support.

Either way, I wasn’t sure who was going to show up. My second concern involved the “Martha Stewart with the Kung Fu grip” side of me. When we’ve tested in the past, EC’s mom has always brought these amazing brownies that are the stuff of legends. This test was not going to involve EC, so there was no reason to think that she would make them. I wasn’t even sure if EC was going to show up because it wasn’t his test.

So many worries, so little time.

Anyway, with the belief that it is always better to regret what you have done than what you haven’t done, I had to once again take action and make treats for the test. I was willing to let R take the credit so either Master H or CH wouldn’t think I was a sissy, but it might be too late for that.

The day of the test, I literally slaved over a hot stove in the name of karate. I made cookie bars for the class, cookies (low glycemic) for us at home, and then I made R’s bread because I hate cooking just one thing in the oven at a time. On top of that, I had to make dinner, as well.

I think Martha would be proud, and I was glad to have all of our bases covered. Now we have to wait and see who shows up.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to RC for the pic.

No comments: