Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pumpkin Soup Fiasco

We had a crazy Martha Stewart's worst nightmare experience the other day. We've been making soup almost every day, and it tends to be the usual cast of characters, so we decided to branch out and try something new. We perused our choices and came up with pumpkin corn chowder. It was easy enough and we like pumpkin soups.

Well, first off, we had very little corn, but maybe enough to make the soup. I went to BGs and they were sold out, so I had to go with what we had. We made the soup and I emptied the contents of the pumpkin can in. A was curious what pumpkin tasted like, so we both gave it a try, and was it good. It tasted like pumpkin pie, and once the soup was going, it dawned on me why. I had mistakenly used a can of pumpkin pie mix, not prepared pumpkin. Consequently, the soup, which contains lemon, was sickly sweet and kind of funky.

A thought it was okay, but I couldn't eat it, and with about an hour and a half to go before supper time, I made an executive decision to make it again. The problem, of course, was the corn. I talked to B at BGs and he said they would get more corn in tomorrow, but he had canned corn. I could have gone to Price Chopper, but that's a production and would have involved packing the kids up and driving over. Finally, I decided to try Mike's Store, which better known for killer sandwiches and snacks, but not so much for groceries. I decided to give them a call, and sure enough, they had frozen corn. Score.

I got the corn, we used the right pumpkin this time, and the soup was killer. In fact, mom even said it was one of her new favorites. I love when that happens. Just goes to show you what a little effort can do for you.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: