Sunday, December 19, 2010

Penultimate Friday and the Winter Market

Last Friday we were at the library having the usual good time and boy did if feel good to have the week over. It’s been particularly trying, especially in light of being sick. All of us, that is.

Our plan was to hang out and then go to the Winter Market, but I wasn't sure how that would go over because we weren't going to be selling dumplings and we were also sick. I was personally ready to be carted around on someone's back, like this guy. He's got it made. Again, as I mentioned, I had some reservations about going since we weren’t going to be vendors and I felt like I was letting them down. Then again, at least we were supporting them by buying their wares.

We were to meet R there on her way home from work, and we’d grab some dinner. The kids, however, love to hang out at the library, and I’m glad they enjoy it, but it meant that we were running late. I kept reminding them that we had to meet mom, which was met with complete indifference.

Finally I managed to wrestle them away and as luck would have it, we arrived at the town hall literally at the same moment that R arrived. How cool is that? I love when that happens, a sure sign, though of what, I have no clue.

The market was really nice, though again, I felt bad not taking part. Some people gave us a hard time (playfully, of course) for not joining in the fun, but they’re not the ones spending their days making dumplings. If they knew, they’d understand.

I will say this, it was really nice to see everyone. They’re like an extended family, and we all got to be pretty good friends over the course of last year’s market. I value the fact that we did it and had the chance to see that side of the whole dynamic, plus the friends we made. It really engaged us more into our community.

So much so, that we are even thinking that we somehow want to find a way to make it happen once again, but that discussion is for another time. We just wanted to enjoy our time. We had killer South American food, tamales and enchiladas, from L&M, the tamale people. I got to eat my favorite dish, pupusas, though I went for the hotter salsa and it almost killed me, but man were they good.

I was still hungry and wanted some quiche from CS at Clay Hill Farmstand, but she was only doing whole pies, and I wasn’t ready for that. So we did the sensible thing and went straight to dessert from there. Killer pastries from Rhine River Bakery, then one of the best bundt cakes I’d ever eaten from the Clay Hill Farmstand, gingerbread/chocolate. It was so moist and had this amazing crispy sugar glaze. I got the last one and people were clawing me for it.

The music was mellow, we hung out and conversed with old friends we hadn’t seen in awhile. It was a really nice scene, and I found that I really missed everyone. Maybe it was all the pain and suffering that we endured together that bonded us as friends, but they’re a great group of people.

Now we just have to come up with a way to make it all possible, short of miracle.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to david sudarma for the pic.

No comments: