Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sick as Dogs

We have been wrestling with these colds and I think I’ve been coughing for about five days straight. It’s a total bummer, because I can’t sleep. For the past three to four nights, my sleeping has been punctuated by serious coughing fits that wake me up. Consequently, I get about five hours of interrupted sleep, and feel all the worse the next morning.

To add to the suffering, everyone is sick, so in addition to all of my whining, we have to worry about the kids being sick, as well. For whatever reason, the girls in the house haven’t been hit as hard, but the guys are getting slapped around. N and I have had it bad, and we were a bit worried about N at one point because he started spiking a fever, which has since subsided, but we still worry. Parenthood, what an adventure. Fortunately, we have plenty of chicken stock so we can keep the matzo-ball soup flowing.

I was ready to break out the big guns and take a serious opiate based cough syrup (they make this stuff), but you need a prescription. There is a OTC brand called DelSym that literally knocks you out, and that would have to do, but we didn’t have any of that, either. We used to have some, but we got rid of it because felt it was like it was taking dope, the effects were that severe. I sure could have used some last night, though.

In the meantime, I’ll do a few shots of vodka and chase it with some orange juice, just for the vitamin C.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to Andrzej Pobiedziński for the pic.

No comments: