Saturday, December 11, 2010

Snow Tires and More Car Talk

We had the thermostat replaced on the Mazda (thanks to PR for the advice) and now it runs beautifully. While we were there, we had them put the snow tires on, as well. It’s amazing how much time and money you can save when you go to your mechanic giving him the impression you know what you’re talking about. Mind you, you don’t actually have to know what you’re talking about, you just have to be good at faking it. What amazes me is that there was a person there who having new windshield wipers put on her car. I’m guessing that wasn’t all she was having done, but some places charge you for labor to put on something that would take you five minutes, max. Oh well, I guess it fuels the economy.

Speaking of snow tires, we have to get some for the Fit, but I’m finding that it’s not as simple as I thought it would be. The Fit has small tires, and many places I called didn’t carry the tire I was looking for in that size. I was following the credo my friend told me when we moved up here, get the best snow tires you can get. We have Nokian’s on the Mazda, and several people told us the Hakkaplitas (sp?) were the best. We’ve had these for 3 years and they have worked great. However, several tire stores said they couldn’t get them in the size I needed. I ended up going with the Bridgestone Blizzaks, which are great tires, as well. We had them on the Mazda previously, and Gerrish Honda carries them in stock, but I still think the Nokians are better. The Blizzaks, however, are cheaper, which as some of you know by now, speaks volumes to me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: