Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Birthday Swim

Talk about taking a dive (literally and figuratively) for your kids, I took them to a swimming party and even though I was sick with bubonic plague, I still jumped into the drink. I realize I’m an over-protective, helicoptering neurotic parent, but I felt bad for N. The party was really for bigger kids, and he ended up swimming all by himself while the big kids were playing, of all things, water basketball. I stayed on the sideline like a good parent and simply watched, but at some point, I had to take action.

I went over and asked N if he wanted to go with me to play basketball with the big kids, and he immediately said yes. So I jumped into the water and immediately regretted it, because even though it was warm, I was cold. Eventually I warmed up and was fine.

As we played the game, I helped N out with his shots, sometimes lifting him up, but mostly giving him an anchor to take the shots. Actually, there were two girls there who were friends with the birthday girl that were not only outstanding players, but they were super nice, and went out of their way to include N. They always passed it to him. I was grateful, and man could those girls shoot. They made every shot.

Since I was the towering figure amongt the bunch, I got the rebounds and passed to the girls or N. As time passed, I simply rebounded and gave it to whatever team was in possession of the ball, thus making me the universal offensive center.

Best of all, after about half an hour of play, the kids went for cake and ice cream, and when they went back in to play, N didn’t need me anymore. He simply jumped in with the big kids and I got to sit on the sideline and read the latest issues of Martha Stewart Living. When in Rome, as the saying goes.

The party was nice, a last minute deal, but I’m glad the kids had fun, and that N was able to integrate. I know I should have simply stayed out of it, but I couldn’t sit back and watch. I’ll pay the price one day, but it’s okay if I suffer for sins as long the kids are healthy and having fun.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Allie Hylton for the pic.

No comments: