Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Solstice Celebration

One of the millions of things I love about living up here, besides the night life, is that people really celebrate the seasons, but not in a flaky way like in the town I grew up in. Acknowledging the seasons is a way of life when you live in a rural community, because historically, so much revolves around the weather. They manage to turn it into a celebration. You gotta love your pagan rituals.

Case in point, the Winter Solstice. There are numerous events up here where people get together and take part in some sort of pagan ritual, with lots of singing, food and drink, and usually a big bonfire. Our neighbors at the flower farm throw one every year, and the first year we went, we didn’t realize what a big to-do it actually was. In fact, we had heard that there was just going to be a bonfire, which we couldn’t pass up, but when we got there, they had this amazing spread of food and an incredible array of desserts. I was floored, and felt bad that I hadn’t brought anything, though I gave KJ a bottle of wine the next day.

This time, I came prepared with bottle in hand. The party is really nice, the food is amazing, though I sensed this year the turnout was small. Granted, we got there late, but last year there were tons of people inside, and then they all gathered around the fire to hang out and warm up, and they seemed to linger for hours. This year, there were may 10 people around the fire, though the flames had petered out, and again, it was later.

I do know that the Peony Festival that they hold was poorly attended last year, a fact that really concerns them and makes me feel terrible. I don’t know why people in this town are not more supportive of their efforts, but I’m sure there’s a story in there somewhere. I wish I could be more helpful, because they are great people, we feel lucky to have them as neighbors, and their events are fabulous and so well done.

They also indicated that the they want to re-think their business model because the retail flower industry is not ideal, so it could be the end of such events. This is tragic, but you do what you have to do.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Michael Grunow for the pic.

3 comments:

Mobile Discos said...

Its people. People are changing their habits and doing different things now. Less of the community spirit and more just keeping themselves to themselves. Its odd to now have a conversation with someone you dont know now.

phredude said...

Dear Mobile Disco,

I agree, people are not as connected, though you still feel more it in a small town. As for conversations with people we don't know, I think the initiative lies with us. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

Types Of apples said...

I also agree I have been down to Cornwall myself to a small place called delabole and from the city I live in (Birmingham) Oh wow what a difference!

People here are very arrogant and just really don't care its everyone for themselves!!! Cornwall is so nice and people are so chatty its an amazing difference... If I didnt have to work here I would move down there in an instant.