Saturday, October 13, 2012

Busy but Great Weekend

With the weekend looming, I’m reminded of how busy our weekends can be. Just wait until hockey season starts. Over Columbus Day weekend and we were all over the map, helping out with the bake sale, hanging in the big city, eating at our beloved Boloco. The bake sale was fun, more so for the kids than dad, but what else is new? I’m not always comfortable in group social settings, or for that matter, situations where I feel redundant. I just stand around and feel stupid, and that always seems to be the case at parties or barbecues.

It’s hard not to want to help, though, because hockey parents are dedicated like no other, and I guess my presence is appreciated, but more often than not, I feel like my time would be better spent at home splitting wood or painting, or even taking a nap. I would opt for the last one.

The bake sale seemed to go well, nonetheless. They were busy, and had a killer location right where all the tour buses would stop. People would literally get off the bus, mill around the village, and get a bite to eat before climbing back on board and heading off into the sunset. You realize that people just like to vacation that way, it’s safe and predictable. It was good for bake sale business, that’s for sure. It helped having the kids out there promoting it, they’re so cute. Plus, A&N had fun both days because as I mentioned, their friends were there, and they got to eat burgers, hot dogs, and cookies and cake. What’s not to love?

We also met up with mom in the big city and had supper at Boloco, then on a whim went to the Dartmouth soccer game. The women played first, then the men. I think Dartmouth won both games, but it was kind of fun watching. I’m not a huge soccer fan, but it’s fun to be out there checking out the game, though it was a late night for us.

We hit the bake sale one last day, and then the weekend was over, but we sure had fun. The weather is getting cooler, the trees are losing their leaves, and fall is here. That means hockey is on the horizon, not to mention skiing and the holidays. Can’t wait.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to id-iom for the pic.

No comments: