Thursday, October 25, 2012

Disappointed in Lou’s

As much as I love Lou’s, I have to admit, the last cake that we got for N’s birthday was disappointing. I expected better from them, and in the end, the cake was reminiscent of some store bought deal from Shaws. It looked nice, and the cake part was good, but the frosting tasted like sweetened Crisco. Oh well, live and learn.

Part of the problem was that I broke from protocol. Usually we get the chocolate mousse cake, which is to die for. Somehow they get the frosting soft and chewy, and it’s amazing. I wanted something with a hockey them, so naturally it should be white, right? They said the mousse was the one cake they couldn’t do in white, so I went with another cake we like, the Hanover Fudge.

Now this is where I think I made a mistake. I asked for a white cake all over, when I should have asked for a regular Hanover Fudge, just with white on the top, only. What happened was they made everything white, not just the top and sides, but the frosting in between the layers, as well. As I mentioned, it was the crappy Crisco frosting. I’d seen cakes just like it for half the price at King Arthur Flour.

Not that it mattered, the kids loved it, and I was able to make a hockey scene, so all’s well that ends well, right?

Not! Next time I’m not going to get too crazy and stick with what we know is good.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: