Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tackling the Vestibule

This has become the number one priority in my list of real man jobs, after of course everything else in my life, like being a dad. Just kidding, sort of. Either way, the vestibule has been sitting in limbo for about a year, if not more, and not only is it probably making R crazy, but it’s bugging me that I can’t find the wherewithal to finish it. It doesn’t help being clueless, either, but excuses won’t get you anywhere in life other than the land of disappointment.

I took the first step and sought out the help of a contractor friend who said he could drywall the room, it just needed to finish the floor and the walls, i.e. insulation. I headed over to LaValley’s and picked up a roll, though I realized that I got the wrong stuff, sort of. The standard width of a wall stud is usually 4 inches, using 2X4s, but this house and the barn were done with 2X6 boards. So when I asked for insulation, the guy gave me 3.5 inch insulation, when in fact I needed 5.5 inch, or something like that.

My first impulse was to say I can’t do this, I need to exchange it, but after thinking it over, I realized that was stupid. Of course I could still use it, it wasn’t optimal, but it would work. Plus, there’s 1 inch blue board on the sheathing, so the fiberglass would be fine. Also, we’ve been living with nothing on those walls for a year, so anything is an improvement on the current situation.

So I went for it. It didn’t take long, and was pretty easy. I just cut it to length, which in retrospect I probably didn’t even need to do, and then stapled the stuff in. Voila, we have insulation. I hate to seem over confident, but it was pretty easy. I need to deal with the floor and some trim work, but now that I’m brimming with real-man confidence, I think I can get it done sooner than later. Then again, talk is cheap.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: