Monday, October 8, 2012

Doing Unto Others

As you may have noticed, I’m kind of into hockey, almost to the point of OCD. Now in all fairness to myself, it’s an uphill battle making it all work out, because on a number of levels I’m facing a great deal of resistance. R is not completely thrilled with all it takes to play, particularly the time and expense. I can’t control the amount of time, but I can whatever it takes to help ease the financial burden.

A large part of this is getting equipment cheap, and if possible, free. When N first started, all his equipment was second hand, and almost all of it was given to us. He suffered a little because his skates were not an ideal fit, and he got blisters the first week. To his credit, he never said a thing, and played through it. What a real man he is. I felt terrible, and we addressed the situation and eventually got him some good skates, but I’m just so impressed that he didn’t complain. I would have been whining from the get-go.

I tend to always be on the lookout for equipment, that means hockey swaps and the Listen Center, and have found some real gems. This works really well for my stuff because I’m not too picky. Now that A is playing, it’s even more stuff to get, though again, to her credit, she never complains when her stuff is old and second hand, which applies to most of it. What great kids.

Anyway, as I mentioned, we were helped out a lot in the beginning, so when some friends expressed interest in their kids giving it a try, I jumped at the opportunity to help them. This was a double-whammy of good vibes because it also meant unloading some of the equipment that we no longer needed as well as placating R’s discontent over the growing pile of hockey equipment in our basement.

I spoke with DL, whose two sons are going to give it a try. I get the impression he’s a hockey player himself, but suffers from the same problem we all do, no time. Anyway, he inquired about where to get some deals on equipment since there is no telling if his kids will even like it. I said to come by, and was able to help him out. I think he’s in pretty good shape, and now our basement is a little cleaner.

Then again, that just means I have more space to go out and get more stuff. I can’t wait.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to ever bamboo for the pic.

No comments: