Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sock it to Me

We have sock issues in our home. It’s easy in the summer, the kids don’t really wear socks during the warm months, going with bare feet most of the time, or wearing the Crocs, which for the record are some the greatest kid’s shoes ever invented.

I, on the other hand, tend to be a sock and shoe kind of guy, especially when I’m working in the yard or house. Also, I tend to wear socks when I’m working in the kitchen, which is pretty much all day, because our floor is white, and when it gets when, I tend to leave foot prints.

Anyway, R goes crazy trying to keep all the socks in order. We tend to wear them and leave them lying around the house, and as you can imagine, this does not make her happy. She finally put out a bin and put everyone’s socks in there. She said socks go either in the bin or in the laundry. End of story.

The problem is, with a huge bin full of socks, I can’t find my own! It seems as if I spend all this time searching for my socks, and if I’m in a rush, I end up wearing whatever I can find. This does not make me a happy camper, especially with winter arriving. You realize the importance of having good socks.

I decided to do something about it, and built a sock bin, with a compartment for each of us. The wood part was easy, it was the staining and finishing that took the most time. Now that it’s done, I’m hoping that I can find more socks more easily. At the very least, it sort of looks nice, or at least nicer than the old bin, and I get to feel that warm glow of accomplishment in having addressed a situation and come up with a solution.

I love when that happens.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: