Wednesday, October 31, 2012

In Demand for Boards

I don’t know what to make of this, but I’m being asked to help out in a number of areas, and though it’s nice to be considered for these jobs, assuming their asking because they either like you or think you’re competent, it’s all a bit overwhelming. Part of me wants to help, but part of me also knows I’ll regret it. Then again, it’s better to regret something you have done than something you haven’t done, right?

I’ve been pretty busy with the hockey stuff between the board and the scheduling, which is a bear of a job. I’d been told that once the season starts, all your work goes out the window, and then when the state tournament starts, it all goes out the window again. I’m experiencing the first part as we speak, because people keep canceling games, leaving me to scramble to fill the holes. It’s a good example of trying to please everyone and then pissing everyone off. Oh well, what else is new in my life?

I’m also doing the PR work for the team, which is fine because it involves writing and connecting with people who work in print. This is easy enough because it doesn’t take a lot of time, and it’s good for the team and program. Plus, the kids love to see their name in the paper.

We had some drama on our library board, as well, because the director is leaving. This is heartbreaking for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is that we really love our director. She’s amazing, and we felt so lucky to have her, but now she’s moving on to greener pastures. We’ll miss her, but it also means we’ll have to find a replacement, and that’s a whole process in and of itself.

Finally, I was asked to be on the board of directors for the local TV station. What is it with all these boards? For the record, this is a job I might be interested in, because it involves media and may at some point mean writing work. Plus, it’s kind of cool working with a TV station, don’t you think? A&N have been doing all sorts of stuff over there, and they have great resources for kids to learn about making movies and TV programs. The time commitment is not horrible, but like everything, it’s not nothing, so we’ll see.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to write up the hockey report for the paper.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sheraton Hotels and Resorts for the pic.

No comments: