Thursday, October 25, 2012

Game Night

I had my first adult hockey game last week (this is how we looked), and it sure was fun, though I need to keep working on my game. I don’t have loads of experience, though I do have loads of expectations (daydreams?), for better or worse. The level of play I think is a notch above what I saw over the summer, but not overwhelmingly so. Like always, when I first entered the locker room, the guys all seemed like they knew what they were doing and had a lot of experience in the game.

I, on the other hand, am the neophyte, this being my first real winter hockey season. There’s a lot to learn, and unfortunately, I have to learn it all by fire. No practicing or coaching here, though I am free to ask questions and get advice. There was a family open stick right before, so I was able to warm up and get my footing on the ice.

One the game started, it wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated. First, I got to play center, which suits me because it’s the most straightforward position. I don’t have to worry about what side I’m on, I just go get the puck. At least that’s what I’ve been told. When I first met my teammates, just like over summer, it seemed like they were all pros and were going to skate circles around me.

Once the game started, however, it became clear that that was not necessarily the case. Sure, there are players who have loads of experience over me and can leave me in their wake, but for the most part, I think I fall in the middle of the pack, at least in terms of skating. In terms of handling the puck and being a hockey player, I’m still a serious novice, but I’m getting better. That’s why I’m out there, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to gardinergirl for the pic.

No comments: