Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day One - Heading Out and Down to the Wire

Boy, talk about cutting it close. We are flying out this morning but I still haven't packed and spent most of last night finishing the pickles. I know it's my fault for putting it off for so long, but I wasn't sure how to really go about doing it. Enter Google. I found an easy recipe (they're all easy) and it turned out to be a lot simpler than I'd imagined, like all things in life. It's interesting when you think about how much fear dictates our lives, and how it really prevents us from doing even the simplest of things. Dare I say it is used to the advantage of the powers that be to keep us from asserting ourselves and making waves, but don't get me started on that one.

My point is, I didn't know how to make pickles, and because I was afraid of doing it wrong or making a mistake, I simply didn't do it, and yet when I finally tried, it was so easy I was left scratching my head as to why I hadn't done it sooner. This is a familiar pattern that repeats itself throughout my life, and I don't think it will change anytime soon. Needless to say, having kids has helped me enormously in this regard because in an effort to be a good dad, it has forced me to overcome the fear of many situations and to just deal with it.

Okay, so I still need to pack. The problem with packing this late is that I'm bound to forget something. My goal is to workout while we are away and practice my karate in preparation for my green belt test, while also blogging and maybe writing an article or two. How's that sound for getting in over my head? The "other" story of my life.

I still haven't confirmed the car and plane, so I'll try to do that today. Lots to do this morning, and yet here I am blogging. You have to love my priorities. Then again, that's why I was making pickles all night.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

black hills s. dakota

No comments: