Thursday, August 27, 2009

Getting it While I Can

Needless to say, when you travel, there are certain things that are just harder to come by. This includes healthy foods, showers, snacks, and exercise. I've found that you have to seize the moment when it arrives, because if you hesitate and think you'll just take care of it the next time it comes around, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. With this in mind, get it while you can, because it may not come around again.

One of the hardest things is healthy food, most notably fiber. There is plenty of cheap, starchy food that sticks to your guts, and though it's plentiful and tasty, for the most part, it really can come back to haunt you. So, every morning at the hotel breakfast, I make it a point to eat some bran flakes or some facsimile thereof, even though my heart is screaming for the waffles and sausage. Funny how that works.

When you're in a big city like Omaha, you can find all these things easily enough if you just do a little leg work, but once we're camping, I figure we'll be lucky just to find running water, so forget about showers. I'm still trying to decide what we're going to eat. On the bright note, I find that when we travel, I tend to lose weight, because I can't do the one thing I love to do back home: snack. No late night bags of potato chips or stuffing myself with M&Ms and cookies. If we really made the effort, we could keep a supply nearby to satisfy these desires, but that's missing the point, right? We're not trying to emulate our home life.

And though when we eat it tends to be heavy and unhealthy, it's just less than what we do at home. So, we'll see where this one ends up, but I'm thinking it may turn out okay. Also, I've got to practice my karate katas and my sparring because when I get back, I'll be testing for my green belt. Yikes! Also, I may need to use my hands as lethal weapons to protect my family. I'm ready... sort of.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Fleur Suijten for the pic.

No comments: