Friday, August 14, 2009

YKW Sighting

We ran into YKW yesterday, and though I went to great lengths to avoid it, we ended up with the face to face. Just goes to show you, you can run, but you can't hide. The minute we walked into the store I saw her. She was playing some game so naturally I assumed she was with her twin and that if we made contact, she would once again let A know that she wanted nothing to do with her, and proceed to be cold and distant and ignore her. This is based on all previous interactions, so I'm not pulling this out of left field.

Anyway, the minute I saw her, I stopped and turned the cart around, waiting for her to disappear. I employed the following logic-she was on the right side of the store. Assuming that people shop like we do and start on one end and finish on the other, I figured that she would make her way to the other side, just as we were getting started. If I took my time while shopping, by the time I got to the other end, they'd be done and on the highway back home. Sounds logical, right?

We lucked out on a few fronts. First, I needed to fill our water bottles, and the water fountain in on the right side, where we begin our shopping. Then, we needed to get some cold cuts, again on the right side, where we begin. And finally, the deli is always busy and takes a lot of time, so we were sitting pretty. By the time we got our stuff, however, one of us had to use the bathroom, so back to where we started.

And, of course, this is where we got our face to face. I should have known. For the record, they were very nice and even commented on how they hadn't seen us in so long. Then we saw her mom and she repeated it, asking where we'd been and that we hadn't seen each other for so long. It was awkward as heck, but then I began to think, is it just me?

They were acting like nothing had transpired and we were the ones who had disappeared. Fair enough, I'm more than willing to accept the fact that I'm a neurotic mess and have the amazing ability to conjure up these scenarios. Except that I know that YKW had blown off A and it was in no way subtle, and not an isolated incident. Looking back on it, it all seemed just downright mean. Friends don't treat each other that way. No way!

My point is, I'm not ready to go back there. I may never be. It wasn't the first time and it wouldn't be the last. A has no concept of what happened, and maybe that's for the best. For now, we'll keep our distance. With school on the horizon, there will be plenty to do in everyone's life.

I'd like to clarify that I wish no ill will to any of them, or to anybody, for that matter. I still think of the parents as good people and friends, it's just that it was a painful chapter in my life to see our kid target for intentional neglect. Rekindled the pain of adolescence for R&I, and I would attribute a lot of it to kids just not knowing how to act, but with this in mind, we can expect that it might very well happen again. Best not to go there, don't you think?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to geo okretic for the pic.

No comments: