Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wooden Sculptures

We received some wooden sculptures from R's friend, and the kids were immediately taken by them. In typical fashion, they jumped right in poured over them, focusing and working hard. They got the first two, the mosquito and peacock, no problem, but the bison and the deer were a little trickier. Now what was impressive to me was that they built the first two without even consulting the directions. They simply based their moves on what they saw on the front of the box and logically placed the pieces together. This strategy worked fine at first, but then got a bit more complex and they asked for my help. I figured that the directions were in order, but upon reading them and trying to finish the piece, I realized they were not only useless, but made it much harder because they were so useless. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. Kudos to A&N for that.

Anyway, I really struggled with that darn deer. In fact, and A got a huge kick out of this, I got really frustrated after a long duration because couldn't figure out how the legs worked when I finally realized that I'd been holding it upside down. Who was helping who here? After about 45 minutes, with a load of things I still needed to do, I told them it was going to have to wait. I had work to do, and we could finish this later.

Well, you want to know what the kids did? They finished the sculptures without me, and without the moronic directions. Pretty cool stuff, and the sculptures make a nice center piece for out table. Children never cease to amaze me.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: