Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Back in the Ultimate Field

Due to the assortment of pain and woe that my body is experiencing, I have been taking it easy, which means no ultimate frisbee, which is a total bummer. This disappointment is magnified when I pick the kids up and have to watch them playing the game we all love so much, feeling like I should be out there with them. Well, after resting up and trying to let my sciatica heal, I found that it simply wasn’t getting any better. At some point you have to just get up and do it.

So that’s what I did. Besides, it doesn’t hurt when I run, it’s during the aftermath that I suffer so greatly, but what’s a little suffering amongst friends? R was a little pensive, but I went for it anyway and joined the fun. I took A&N over the field and we had a pretty good crew. A showed up with his son, A, who is one of the most amazing UF players you have ever seen. JM came along and with me made up the adult contingent. We had a really good group of young kids, who are all becoming accomplished UF players. They are the future, after all.

At some point I’m guessing the high school and college players will start showing up, and that’s when the games get intense, because those guys are so good. It makes the game interesting, to put it lightly. For now, I enjoy incorporating the young kids as much as possible, and it’s nice when they get to score or make a big play. The adults just become supporting players, though they can notch it up a big when we’re playing each other. I had the job of cover A, the pro, but it was clear he was taking it easy because the guy not only runs like a gazelle, but he has hands of glue. He’s one of those players where you can toss it anywhere and know he’ll catch it. He was toning it down for our benefit.

We played several games, the weather was beautiful, but at some point A and M had to go, which baffles me. For whatever reason, AG, who is a good player and loves the game, drops his kids off and then leaves. What’s up with that? I’m sure there’s a good reason, but we could use his presence.

Once the girls left, we’d lost steam and it was getting late, so we called it a day. Most of the adults headed over to the garden and the kids went to the brook to throw rocks and get crazy. Being the overbearing parent that I am, of course I didn’t stray too far. They had fun, and it’s nice to see kids in the community getting together and entertaining themselves outside and without computers or TV. I’m all for it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to nonrev for the pic.

No comments: