Wednesday, June 6, 2012

First Farmer’s Market

Last week we hit the inaugural farmer’s market for the season, and it was a really nice time. We lucked out with simply beautiful weather, which at this time of year means no rain. In fact, it was sunny, breezy, and fabulous. B is the interim manager and she did a stand-up job, even in light of the enormous amount of responsibility that it requires. She was almost on her own in the beginning, so A&N and I went over to help out beforehand. The kids had places to be later, but I had time to hang and help. Plus, since we’re not vendors this year (whew!), I could lend a hand to the other vendors. I was happy to help.

We arrived about an hour early and met B at the storage shed to get signs and tents. She was a little stressed, and for good reason. It’s a lot of work setting up for the market, believe me, we know. As manager, not only does she have her own stuff to deal with, but she has to oversee all of the other vendors, and this was her first go at it. JM came with his trailer and we moved all the stuff to the grounds. I didn’t realize there were so many tents that the manager had to set up, there must have been at least 6 or 7, not to mention 4 to 5 tables. Plus, we had to measure the spaces out so the vendors could fit. Some of them came really early, as well.

A&N helped out a lot, they did a great job, and I think B really appreciated it. We got most of the stuff up by the time vendors started to file in. At that point B had to manage the different people, and the kids had to be elsewhere, so they took off. I stayed and helped by putting up signs and assisting the vendors put up their tents. I got a sense that some of them were using their tents for the very first time. They’ll have a steep learning curve this market season.

Once the market got started, we had to leave for lacrosse, which is sort of a bummer because it would have been nice to have hung out. Nonetheless, lacrosse was beckoning us, so we left, but did manage to return just as the market was closing up. It looked like quite a scene, with lots of people and energy. I heard the day went well.

Kudos to B for all her work, and we look forward to spending more time at the market. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Josh Moody for the pic.

No comments: